Many people plan for life events such as weddings and vacations well in advance, but many people do not plan for something that is certain to happen, their funeral. The primary advantages of pre-arranging your funeral is to relieve the burden on your loved ones in an already emotional time, and to ensure your funeral is carried out according to your wishes, eliminating the task of second-guessing what you would have wanted. Taking the time now to arrange your funeral is one less thing your loved ones will need to worry about once you’ve passed. Pre-planning and pre-paying your funeral is one of the most thoughtful gifts you can give to your family.
Pre-paying your funeral reduces stress and financial burden on your loved ones after your passing. We can co-ordinate a payment plan that suits your needs, from a single payment plan to monthly bank account withdrawals. For more information on what is applicable in your region, simply speak to your funeral director. Each year thousands of people decide to pre-plan and pre-pay their funeral, these plans are designed to be flexible and can accommodate the many changes that often occur in people’s lives.
Prearranging – SSI and Medicaid
In certain cases, families are advised to setup an irrevocable trust to protect their loved one’s assets to assure they receive a proper funeral someday. Federal and State laws allow funds to be setup in this manner and do not show as an asset for whom the prepaid funeral is for. To inquire further, please contact our firm.
What Is Preplan?
Established in 1988, PrePlan is a New York pre-funded funeral trust administered for the New York State Funeral Directors Association, Inc. by Funeral Director Support Services, Inc., a New York state corporation. Once your pre-paid funeral account is opened with a funeral home, PrePlan will send you a personalized confirmation that your funds have been received and deposited. Following that, regular statements of the account and interest will be sent from Preplan annually, so that a family member always has current information on the balance of the account. These funds are placed in FDIC-insured certificates of deposit which will give you a maximum rate of interest. The state of New York has some of the strongest laws as they pertain to prepaid funerals. All funds set aside for prepaid funerals must be placed 100% in a funeral trust.
What you can do in advance…
- Decide on Burial or Cremation and your casket or urn type.
- Pick what type of service you want (religious, military, non-traditional)
- Choose which funeral home to use.
- Designate your pallbearers, pick any music or readings you want at your service.
Benefits of Pre-Planning
- Between 70 and 75 decisions are made within the first 24-48 hours of death. It’s difficult to think rationally while making so many decisions within days of losing someone, pre-planning gives yourself, family and friends peace of mind. Pre-planning gives your loved ones direction of your wants and desires.
- It’s easy. Anyone can do it, and you can change your mind at any time.